Friday, April 4, 2008

What Goes Around Comes Around

It was half past ten in the night before our scheduled departure to Kolkata, & lightning had struck not once but twice. Suzy whom I had tried with loads of persuasion to continue with our trip was the first casualty. It seemed like there was absolutely no way that he was getting leave & the new work that had somehow managed to fall into his lap right at the death of time, just couldn’t be done without his presence. Initially we even tried to compromise on trying to get him to do the Sikkim part of our circuit. But that too fell out & we were down to 4 people. I could even sense how saddened he was when he had called up to break the news to me. This did blow me out too, because we were the chaps who had cooked up this thing in a way.

If that was not enough to have gutted me, the next bolt of lightning struck me in the form of Marella. Well if it was work which had played the spoil sport in one case, here it was health. Marella got pretty sick like 2 days before the D-day, & was in no condition to do a week long trip. She tried her best in sticking along to give Pandu some company as a girl, but then we didn’t want her to have a horror trip & finally we had to pull the plug on her too.

Call it a cruel twist of fate or just a simple rendition of What Goes Around Comes Around (I had too pulled out of an earlier plan with my friends), but whatever you say, at around 12 hours before we were supposed to be in a plane on the perfect vacation, we were already down by 2 people & looming at the fear of an oversized budget too. My personal feelings were a mixture of being freaking pissed off & frustrated. But then some things are just bound to go awry. With exactly these thoughts I went ahead to pack the rest of my stuff.

No comments: