Monday, March 31, 2008

The Plan

Well it had been like a month nearly since I had laid my plans on project Sikkim. The only thing that was confirmed till date was the air tickets & the number of people who were boarding the flights with me. Other than that we didn’t have a plan (only a rough outline of a plan was available) neither did we have any tickets from Kolkata towards Gangtok nor an inkling of a clue as in where we would be put up. So after weeks of smoking more cigarettes & sleeping & continuing with my ever so beautiful routine, it clicked like Archimedes’ Eureka theory (except for the nudity of course) & I thought of hooking up with some travel agent.

Contrary to urban legends, not all travel agents are people who sponge you out from all your wealth & make even a small trek sound like a walk in Himalaya. Well for our luck I ran into one Mr. Baichung Bhutia (I added the bhutia tag just because it was more snazzy & famous too). I offered him my rough outline & after weeks of speculation & calls flying here & there he came out with an itinerary that had covered me & my troupe from the time we alighted at New Jalpaigudi till the penultimate day when we were supposed to board from the same station.

He even offered me a Scorpio to cover us through the entire travel. So far so good - and the best part was that it wasn’t that expensive. And considering the fact that this was my first time in planning a trip of this proportion (well I did do some small plans earlier which were miniature versions of the Titanic going down), the final outcome was pretty neat, at least to the naked eye. So all left now was for the D-Day & for the ensuing weeks which would put our scheduled plan to the test. Till then I was having more than just my fingers crossed.

No comments: